A breach of nearly 100 feet flooded nearly 16 villages in the mand areas of Sultanpurlodhi

P.S.Walia
Kapurthala, August 12

A breach of nearly one hundred feet in the temporary bundh raised by the farmers inside the Dhussi Bundh to protect their fields has flooded about 16 villages with the gushing flood water of river Beas according to Rajya Sabha member Sant Balbir Singh Seechewal who along with his followers visited the flood affected villages today.

Seechewal after visiting the flood affected villages mostly falling the mand areas of Sultanpurlodhi told PTI that a breach of about one hundred feet near village Baupur has caused massive damage to standing crops of paddy which were submerged under four to five feet of water.

A team of district administration led by Deputy Commissioner Amit Kumar Panchal today visited the flood affected villages and saw the damage to the flood marooned villages.DC claimed that Dhussi bundh was intact and the breach would be plugged on receding the flood water by the drainage department with the help of farmers.

Meanwhile affected farmers have taken shelter on the ramp of dhussi bundh and roof tops to protect themselves from gushing flood waters .Sant Seechewal said that his followers are on the constant watching the rising flood water as one lakh cusec of water is still flowing in the river Beas which have caused floods .

Seechewal said he has put in service a motor boat in the flood water to rescue the marooned farmers.He said there are eight villages inside the mand areas whose crops have been affected with the flood water of river beas and the breach would be plugged by his followers on receding the water of river beas. Seecewal met large number of farmers who narrated their woeful tales of floods .

According to official sources the worst affected villages identified as Baupur, Bhaini Bahadur,Kadar Baksh,Baupur Jadid,Baupur Kadim,Rampur Gaura,Sangra,Middhewal, and Passan Kadim.

Jarnail Singh resident of baupur said that nearly five thousand residents in affected areas have shifted to safer places and said thousands of acres of standing crops have been submerged under five to six feet of water.He said district administration have so far failed to approach them and send any relief material and they were living in a miserable conditions.

Surain Singh of village Kadim demanded boats and other relief material to save their lives.

Meanwhile Deputy Commissioner Amit Kumar Panchal who is in mand areas to see the damage caused by floods could not be contacted despite repeated efforts and sent a message to wait as he was in the flood areas.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *