Chandigarh

Transformer catches fire in Mohali, hits power supply

Mohali, June 15
Several areas of Mohali plunged into darkness after a transformer in the Phase 1 66kV power grid caught fire around 4.50 pm today. An official said due to overloading, the transformer caught fire, in which the main power line was badly damaged. Fire engines were rushed to the spot which took around two hours to control the blaze. The power supply was affected in several parts of Phase 1, 2, 3B1, 3B2, 4, 5, and the Industrial Area, Phase 1, 2 and 7. A PSPCL official said power supply was likely to remain affected for the next two days as teams were working on the restoration of the supply. The official said efforts were being made to make alternative arrangements for uninterrupted power supply. Phase 4 resident Parminder Singh Toor said, “The power supply was affected at 5 pm and it was restored at 9 pm.”