New Delhi, February 23The schools are reopening nationwide, with the commencement of the vaccination drive and the falling numbers of active Covid-19 cases. Starting in phases, the schools are first reopening for the students of the classes X and XII and later for the junior classes. Subsequently, it is essential that precautions for prevention of further spread are taken as seriously as before. The numbers might be dipping but the virus is still lingering and we have to take all possible measures to curb its spread. With children being one of the most vulnerable categories, extra precautions need to be taken by the school authorities, teachers, parents of the students, and the students themselves. While calling students back to schools has been allowed by the government, in the interest of the safety and health of children the schools must practice — Hybrid school model — this is a combination of distance/virtual learning and in-person/traditional form of schooling. This involves limiting the number of students that will come to school in one go so that social distancing can be practiced effectively.
- Basic facts like social distancing, wearing masks, practicing hand hygiene need to be taught and demonstrated to them as the new norms of living.
- A combination of distance/virtual learning and in-person/traditional form of schooling.
- Involves limiting the number of students that will come to school in one go.
- School authorities should make sure that the building is clean and hygienic.
- Surfaces and objects (desks and tables) need to be wiped with disinfectant regularly.
- Promote regular and thorough handwashing and put sanitizing hand-rub dispensers at prominent places around the workplace.
- Teach children the essence of practising respiratory hygiene and using a mask to cover the face and the nose.
- Restrict social events, assemblies, and gatherings at student canteens as well as the practice of sharing food.
- Mandatory thermal screening, no person with slightest of symptoms of fever and cough should be allowed on the premises and recommended immediate self-isolation.