Chandigarh

Blast in LPG cylinder, four jhuggis gutted in Maloya

Chandigarh, October 11

Four jhuggis were reduced to ashes in a fire at Gursagar Colony in Maloya today. There was also a blast in an LPG cylinder.

According to firemen, they got a call regarding the incident at 11.30 am following which they pressed four fire engines into service. The fire engines had a tough time entering the colony as the road leading to the colony was narrow. This delayed the firefighting operation. However, the firefighters still managed to save the adjoining jhuggis from catching fire. No one was inside the jhuggis when the incident occurred. All dwellers had rushed out when the first jhuggi caught fire. “The fire broke out after a cylinder leaked. Later, it blast due to which four jhuggis were gutted,” said a senior fire officer. Area councillor Rajesh Kalia and local residents also rushed to the spot to provide help. “It was very scary. Luckily, no loss of life was reported,” said Kalia.

More from this section